Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Shuffle, shuffle...sigh

So, have you ever listened to the sounds of footsteps?

I spent a day in a spa recently....relaxing, being pampered, just being. It was remarkable.

I went into the room of solitude....a stone room, with a fire in the fireplace...the windows all open and a gentle breeze blowing through with big comfortable chairs.

I put on my big, soft, fluffy robe and went into that room with a book...no one else was there...I had it to myself. I sat there reading for a while....and then I put my book down and laid my head back and listened to the sounds....I heard the birds singing, I heard the wind blowing.

Then the door opened and someone quietly walked through the room. It was a gentle walk...a slow, somber, saunter. As they opened the door to leave the room, I opened my eyes and saw that it was a guest in a fluffy robe. They were content in the moment...relaxed and enjoying every minute.

I laid my head back and continued to listen....the door opened again....this time the footsteps were quick and steady....they had the sound of urgency...of needing to be somewhere....I looked up...it was a worker of the spa. They were not content in the moment...it was all about a job or a destination.

I laid my head back again. I continued to listen to the sounds of footsteps...each time knowing the easy, relaxed sound of a guest versus the urgent, need-to-be-there sound of a worker.

I sat there and wondered what my footsteps sound like to my children. Do they hear the footsteps of contentment? Of a mom that is relaxed and content to just be with them? Or do they hear the footsteps of urgency? Of a mom that is uptight and heading to a destination?

Hmmmmm......I want to slow down and savor every moment I have with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment