Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Quick Drive to Joy

So...as I stated earlier in my blog....

I have been struggling with my "journey" to joy because I am struggling with the word journey and all the baggage that is associated with it. I told a friend that I was banning the word "journey" from my vocabulary....I told her that I was going to call it "A Quick Drive to Joy."

Okay...so how is my quick drive to joy going? Well, it's been a very interesting weekend...

After the soccer tournament this past weekend....I'm driving home all alone (thankfully, David rode home with a friend)....and true to statistics....a few miles from my home I go into a curve and I don't come out. Well, I did come out....just not the way that I thought or planned.

I go into this 'S' curve...I have dubbed it "Deadman's curve" from the moment I moved here. It is a curve that daily has a new cross on the side of the rode. It is a double curve...with horse fences on both side and a chain link fence and a pond. I mean it...these curves are deadly....the horse fences are always down and there is always a new cross on the side of the rode.

So, I go into this double curve on Sunday during my Quick Drive Home...I go into it and I hydro-plane. I am heading straight into oncoming traffic broadside, and two cars are coming at me from the other direction. I pull the wheel hard to the right....the wheels catch and I am now heading right toward two horse fences. I hit something which throws me into several 360's. As I go round and round, I see a blur of horse fence, chain link fence and a pond.

Around and around I go....horse fence, chain link fence and a pond....over and over again. I am pretty certain that I am going to end up in the pond. I finally come to a stop....just short of entering the pond.

Okay....again, I have to wonder....can a "quick drive" really get you anywhere? You know, anywhere really worth going.

Is the whole journey...the slowness...the key...have I missed the whole point? Do you have to slowly process this to get to joy?

Is it impossible to do a quick drive and get to joy? Does the quick drive only lead to a pond?

So, onward I go...slowly....to joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment