Sunday, May 24, 2009

Camels and Eucalyptus


So, I have had a week of contrasts....

What does "contrast" mean? To set off in contrast; to compare or appraise in respect to differences.


So on Thursday I spent the morning in the Jessamine county courthouse. I waited in line for an hour and a half....to go before a judge to allow my former husband to reduce childsupport because our oldest is now 18 years old. There are no words to describe the people in this line....I'll paint a picture using contrast.....


There were many different types of t-shirts....nascar, john deer, baby-under-construction, camel cigarettes, mail pouch, "my ex-husband got the hound dog, i got this lousy t-shirt." There were not many teeth. There were many different types of cigarettes. There was only one way to smoke them....step out of line to go to the door and light up and blow the smoke out the door and step back into line....of course this made a stale aroma in the courthouse. There were many Wrangler blue jeans. There were not many shoes.


So, I wait in that line and watch and listen....realizing that these are my peers....humbling.


The very next day, I spent the day in a very nice spa.


There were many different labels of fine clothing. There were not any t-shirts. There were many perfect teeth. There were not any cigarettes. There were many expensive shoes. There were not any Wrangler jeans. There were many aromatherapy oils (eucalyptus, lavender, citrus) in the air...creating a perfect aroma of relaxation.


So, I spent the day in the spa and watched and listened....wanting these people to be my peers....humbling.

This all came to light...a visual of my week.....when I entered a room at the spa that contained a "contrast pool." A contrast pool is a set of pools. One pool is a jaccuzi containing water at a temperature of 102 degrees. The second pool is right next to the jaccuzi and it is small pool - called a plunge pool - containing water at a temperature of 63 degrees.

I got into the pool containing the warm water...when I first entered it, it seemed a little warm...but as I sat there I became totally acclimated to the temperature. I sat there enjoying the jets pushing water onto my sore back. I stayed in there for about 10 minutes....I was very comfortable.

Then I climbed out and went to the cold pool. I plunged down into the pool.....cold water hitting my body....my warm, 102 degree body....plunged into the 63 degree water....THAT IS CONTRAST!

The cold seemed very cold and the memory of the warm water seemed very warm. I understood the difference between 102 degrees and 63 degrees in a very intimate way.

I realized that my week was exactly like this contrast pool. I was in the line of smoking, toothless, t-shirt and blue jean wearing people with the aroma of stale cigarettes.....and then, "splash," I was in a spa of total relaxtion, with every sight, sound and aroma in total perfection.......I was able to understand the beauty of this day because I understood the difference in a very intimate way.

Then I thought about my spiritual life....if I were to always stay on the mountain.....would I be able to truly appreciate the mountain? Or would I become totally acclimated? Would I not understand the beauty and height and aroma of the mountain, unless I understood the darkness and depth and stench of the valley?

I know myself....without the contrast....the beauty seems dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment