Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Humbly Grateful and Greatly Humbled

So, today....I had a very strange day....one that has caused me to re-evaluate things in a new way....and be humbly grateful and yet greatly humbled.

Today, is exactly 16 days after my "Quick Drive to Joy," aka....my accident. Today, I attended a funeral for a student at my school, one of two, that was killed in an auto accident on US 68 this past Friday....in the EXACT same spot that I had my accident. They were driving home from Lexington in the rain, and they came to the S-curve (here is my description from my previous blog: So, I go into this double curve on Sunday during my Quick Drive Home...I go into it and I hydro-plane. I am heading straight into oncoming traffic broadside, and two cars are coming at me from the other direction).....the report says that they lost control and slid, broadside into the other lane and was hit by a delivery truck. They were killed instantly. Unlike me...they did not have time to pull it back.

So, today I attended the funeral for one of the students. When I left, my cell phone rang and the auto collision shop called to tell me that my car was finally finished and that I could go and pick it up today. I left the funeral and drove to get my car....

When I saw my car...it looked PERFECT. I mean I can not tell that it was ever damaged....every thing is as good as new....back to normal....perfect. I was so pleased.

I got in my car and drove away....it drives perfectly....as good as new.....

It hit me...how is it that I can drive away....sixteen days and everything is back to normal....good as new....no scratches undone....no broken anything....all is fixed, all is right, all is normal.

Yet today....someone said goodbye to a husband, a son, a brother, a best friend....there are no quick fixes....there are no buffing over this one....this can not be replaced....this moment is forever a part of their life.......sixteen days from now, it will still be the same for them. There are no fixes.

I cry on the way home....I cry and I pray....."Lord, why? Why save me? I'm nothing...a nobody....I will never change the world. These two men wanted to change the world....they wanted to go back to India and bring others into the Kingdom of God. I live in little old Wilmore...I'm not changing the world...I'm not even changing my state.....or my city.....or even my street. Why me?"

So, I drive home....humbly grateful and greatly humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment