Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Groanings of the Soul

The whole town is under at least a half inch of ice. It looks like we're living in a crystal palace. It is absolutely breathtaking...beautiful to behold, but boy is it causing major damage.

I have a Bradford Pear tree in my front yard. It is coated in ice. I am hoping that it will survive this storm, but I'm not certain that it can. When I walk outside, I can hear it groaning and creaking under the weight of the ice. If even one more snowflake were to fall on it, I'm certain it would split right down the middle. Even a gentle wind causes it to moan. If a big wind were to come along, I think the branches would break right off because it is so brittle. What it is crying out for is the sun....for warmth that would melt away the ice and allow the weight of that ice to gently run down the bark and into the ground, nothing harsh, just gentle warming and then the water gently running down the trunk.

I feel like that tree. My soul is groaning and creaking under the weight of the icy coating that I have let build up on my outside. If any harsh winds blow across me, I'm certain that I would break, I feel brittle.

Will the sun come quick enough, before any harsh winds or any more weight is added to it? Does anyone hear the groaning?

No comments:

Post a Comment