Friday, January 9, 2009

A Journey to Joy

Where does the path to joy begin?

For me it began as a prayer. In December 2008, my pastor encouraged each of us to pray for our word for 2009. He shared how he prays for a word at the end of a year and how that word becomes the lense that he views everything through throughout the coming year.

"Okay." I thought, "I can do this. How hard is this?" So, I began to pray. And the word that came to me seemed too good to proclaim. So, being the eternal pessimist I decided to ask my friends on Facebook what their "word" for me would be for the upcoming year - you do know that Facebook friends are way more reliable than the ETERNAL CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE. I did this instead of trusting the "word" that came through prayer - does anyone out there identify with this?

So, on December 31, 2008 I post on Facebook this - "Tammy is thinking of my word for the new year."

I begin to get suggestions....wonderful words but not the word that came to me. I still don't feel confident to proclaim my word, so I start to take one of the "words" that was suggested to me. I'm feeling like this new word - grace - will be my word. BUT something deep within me says, "That is not your word."

So I pray, or rather, stammer out this prayer, "Okay Lord, this word that I'm feeling seems VERY selfish, so I think I'm going to go with 'Grace.' If you want me to claim the word that came to me, can you verify it?"

That prayer was stammered out on Monday.....on Tuesday I'm in my office and I get a phone call from a friend from Facebook. He says, "What's your word for 2009?" I laugh and say, "Well, ummmmmm.....I think it might be 'Grace'." He chuckles and says, "That's a good word, but that's not your word. What's your word?" I actually look around my office to see if there is a webcam in there - how would he know to ask that? I evade the question and say, "Grace is a good word." He says, "Yes it is. But is it your word?" I stammer, I studder, I consider making a joke and getting him off subject, but instead I am surprised to hear these words come out of my mouth, "Actually, I've had a word, but it seems too good to be true - too selfish. So I think I'm going with 'grace.'" He says, "What's your word?" I say, "I can't, it's not right. It's too good." Then I tell him that I have instead asked the Lord to verify this word that I have in my soul. "IF IT IS REALLY FROM GOD, PROVE IT."

So my Facebook friend says, "Tammy, I've been praying for you since I read your Facebook status. I've been asking God to give you His word. Do you want to know the word that I think He is giving you?" Then he says, "Step out and claim your word." What is it?" Before I can stop myself I say, "Joy."

My Facebook friend says, "That is the word that I heard for you. I have really been praying, and I was afraid to tell you because I thought that it would hurt your feelings. I'm sorry, I don't mean to imply that you don't have joy, but that is the word I keep hearing."

IS HE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!

I say, "That is the word that was DEEP in my soul, but it seemed TOO GOOD. So, I didn't claim it. I actually fought it. It seems selfish, like I'm asking God to give me JOY in 2009. So, I prayed and asked God to confirm it, and then you called. You are my answer to prayer......MY WORD IS JOY!!!"

That began my "JOURNEY TO JOY." I can't wait to see where this ride takes me.

My Facebook status on January 6th is this,
"Tammy is
claiming her word....yes, it is a great word! The word is JOY!"

Come along on my journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment