Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pure Joy

Okay. So I can't tell you the exact meaning of joy.

But...

I can describe a moment of pure joy. It happened tonight.

My son called me. He was at his dad's house getting ready for bed. He was supposed to go there last night, but he ended up staying with me and he invited a friend over. They had a grand night laughing and giggling all night long. The beginning of pure joy. There is nothing so grand as the sound of your child laughing.

This morning after his friend left, I took my son to his dad's. I had to work all day. I had gotten my son 2 tickets to the Harlem Globe Trotter's show for a Christmas gift. Tonight was the night of the show. When he opened the gift, I told him that he could take a friend if he wanted. He said he wanted me to go. I kept trying to convince him that I didn't mind if he took a friend, but he kept insisting that I go. Three days ago he asked me this, "Mom, are you sure you wouldn't mind if I took a friend instead of you?" I replied emphatically, "I would NOT mind at all. I've seen the show several times and I want you to take a friend." So, he invited a friend.

I was the chauffeur to and from. The ride home was really fun. I got to see the show through the eyes of two twelve year olds. Pure joy.

After I dropped my son off at his dad's house and came home, he called me. He wanted to say prayers together. We used to do that EVERY night together, whether we were together or not. If I was gone, then he'd call me and we would say prayers. I miss those times. Tonight, he called and asked if we could say prayers together....pure joy! Is this how God the Father feels when we say our prayers????? I love the sound of my son's voice praying and I love his prayers.

He prays for his sisters, for me, for our dog, for his dad, for my parents, for himself and then he says this, "God, thank you for the most extraordinary day that I've ever had, and it was all because of mom."

He prayed other things as well, but can I tell you at that moment...I knew JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment