Saturday, January 10, 2009

Cotinuing My Journey to Joy

So my word is JOY.

I'm happy, but I have a bit of apprehension. Why? Because I know that JOY is too good to be true!

This was Tuesday afternoon....

Tuesday night I am working the phones. My pastor's wife, the same pastor who started this whole 'word' thing, gives a devotion at work. It's a GREAT devotion - all about what prayer really is. How prayer is not about US (aka me) but is instead just us asking the Holy Spirit to take this person that we are praying for to Jesus. At this point, Jesus - the High Priest - takes us to the Father....but the Holy Spirit and Jesus are interceding for us. Okay, bottom line - or BOOM, HERE IT IS - it's not about me - it's all about the triune God....the Trinity, it has nothing to do with me.

So I begin to make phone calls. I prayed and asked the Holy Spirit to bring up the right person for me to call....up popped a name from here in my hometown. Fine - I didn't know the name but saw that he lived here. So I ask the Holy Spirit to guide my conversation - and I specifically prayed this, "It's not about me." I dial the number and a man answers. I idenitify myself with, "Hi, this is Tammy calling. We are calling our alum this year to see if there are any prayer needs or concerns that we can join you in praying for this coming year." At this point he says, "No, I think we're good. I know who you are, I used to work with Bob." My mind begins to go, Bob Smith, Bob Jones...and any other Bobs that work here. I can't begin to imagine how he knows me....during this long pause, he finally adds, "At the college."

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It hits me now. He used to work with my ex-husband.....he knows me through my ex. Which means he knows me through all the stories that surrounded my divorce. I am certain at this point the air was SUCKED out of the room and I sat there gasping for breath and not knowing what to say. My mind raced through what this man must be thinking right now. I finally managed to stammer, "Oh, I'm sorry. I was trying to figure out what Bob you were talking about, you mean my ex-husband, Bob." He said, "Yes." I then stammer, "Oh,....wow......I wasn't expecting to connect with someone that knew me, especially that knew me through my divorce. I'm sorry. It took me back a little."

Are you kidding me?????? That is the beginning of my journey to joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment