Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Childish Joy

It has been snowing here in Kentucky for the past 3 days. On Sunday evening it began with a few flurries. My children went to bed saying, "I've got a feeling deep in my bones...it's going to be a snow day tomorrow." Sure enough, Monday at 5:30am I heard a scream, "Yesssssss.....it's a snow day." Then the Hallelujah chorus began. Of course, I still had to go to work. They stayed home and enjoyed their first snow day of the week.

That night, there was an icing...I found that I went to bed hoping, dreaming really, that maybe work might be called off. Next morning - again, screaming children, "SNOW DAY." I dialed my work number to hear we got a whole hour delay. That was a little exciting, but, not a snow day. So, off to work I go one hour later. The children find that the second day is not as blissful as the first. As a matter of fact, the second day seems a little boring. So, I get many calls at work asking me to take them to a movie or a friends or.....of course I explain that I'm at work - no snow day for me - therefore, no running with them.

That night...the icing continues. My daughter has to go to work in Lexington. I found someone heading to Lexington and she hitched a ride. Two hours later....roads are a mess....she calls and needs a ride home. Work has closed early. Fun...off I go through ice and slush. We stop and get some groceries for us and a neighbor. I drive slowly and cautiously home through ice and around large trees that are down.

I go to bed hopeful....feeling that same feeling that I had as a child when I went to bed almost certain school would be called off and I would get that beautiful thing called a SNOW DAY. The children didn't have to hope for it. Their school was called off before they went to bed....3rd snow day in a row for them.

At 5:30 am I awake and call the work number - 2 hour delay. "Are you kidding me?"

I continue to hear ice pounding on the roof....

At 6:30 am I call....2 hour delay. This is unbelievable.

At 7:30 am I call....closed for the day! SNOW DAY!!!! I'm tempted to scream and sing the Hallelujah chorus at the top of my lungs - but, unlike the kids, my idea of a perfect day - I pull the covers over my head and go back to sleep silently!

A childish joy with a grown up twist!

No comments:

Post a Comment