Monday, January 12, 2009

What does the Journey to Joy look like?

What does the journey to joy look like?

Is it one giant step to joy?

Do you just wake up one morning and announce that this is your year of Joy and then every moment from then on is joyful?

Is it just mind over matter?

What if your life is a mess? What if you have been wading in crap for years? Do you just wake up one morning and wipe the crap off and go on?

Let me give you a visual. I have a fur-ball of a dog, a little guy, one big ball of fur. When his belly gets upset and he gets diarrhea, then his furry butt gets covered in crap. He can feel it stuck to his butt and he ends up scrunching his butt all over the yard trying to get the crap off. Guess what.....it doesn't work. Instead he comes into the house with poop all over his butt, smeared all throughout his fur. He has made a royal mess with his attempt to clean up the crap.

I think I have done that....scrunched my butt all over the grass for years and now, my butt is covered in poop and it's smeared in all my fur.

So what do I do to my dog when that happens to him? I get the diaper wipes out and gently wash his butt. I sometimes have to trim some fur off his butt. It's less painful than trying to pull the poop out of his fur. Also, it helps to keep the poop from sticking the next time he goes out.

Does God look at me and see me scrunching my butt all over the place trying to get the poop off me? Does God wonder why I insist on making such a mess instead of letting Him gently clean my life and trim the mess?

This journey seems like it could be a lot more complicated and longer than I had thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment