Friday, February 13, 2009

Wilmore's Blacklist


This morning...my daughter, Becky, came downstairs sick...fevered, sore throat, coughing and a rash. She's had scarlet fever several times, so I'm fearful that might be what she is dealing with now. I get her back to bed and call the doctor. We'll go in for a strep culture later this morning.

It's time to go to the doctor. We are waiting for the doctor to come into the room. We begin to discuss my other children's ideas that they have 'gay-dar.' Becky makes this statement, "What the heck! It seems that Wilmore has it's own version of McCarthyism...including it's own version of the Hollywood Blacklist."

She's right. It seems that this culture wants to quickly put labels on people...not good labels but accusatory labels. Here in this town, we would rather put these people on the Blacklist than have to deal with the people. We want to isolate them off - discount them, not walk with them on their journey, caring for them.

I pray that I can be different and that I can raise my children to be different. I thank the Lord for Becky and for her insight here. (i love sick days with my kids...spending the day hearing them)

No comments:

Post a Comment