Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Hero?

On Thursday night, my children were swamped with homework...this happens because if we get one snowflake they call school off and we've had 7 snowflakes this year which means they've had seven days off school and now they have to make up time. As usual, they had delayed starting their homework...David playing with a friend outside and Becky...what else...on Facebook. So, finally when I asked the 25th hundred time..."Do you have any homework?"....they begin.

I have to tell you...this really annoys me. I hate how they wait until the last minute...doing anything and everything for as long as possible to delay their homework. I guess I used to do the same thing in my youth - but I wish they would learn from my mistakes. I wish that I could show them the error of their ways and that they would realize how much fun they could be having if they would just get the work done and then play. I'm done dreaming...back to the story.

So, they finally begin their homework...they pull out tons of books and papers and I surmise that this is going to be a LATE night.

Four hours later, after many..."Are you working on your homework?"...my sons tells me that he has to write a memoir....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....this is going to a LONG night.

He takes the laptop upstairs and comes down about an hour later and says he needs a picture of me and a picture of him and I together. I tell him to look on the laptop and find some.

He comes down about an hour later and says that he is done and needs to print it out. I tell him to get it done because it's midnight and I am going to bed. He comes upstairs and says he's done and he would like me to read it. I ask him if it can wait until the morning. He says yes, but he seems a bit disappointed.

We go to sleep.

The next morning, when David gets up, I ask him to read his memoir. He seems pleased that I have asked. He hands it to me and says, "It is kind of sad."

I read it...I had no idea that the divorce was as hard as it was on him. I had no idea that he struggled with the divorce being his fault somehow. I had no idea that he questioned God....I HAD NO IDEA. He was only 2 years old when we separated...

My eyes well up with tears as I read the next statement. "Mom led me back to Jesus. She is my hero."

I have never been anybody's hero. I am not worthy to be my son's hero.

I look up at him. We embrace...

No comments:

Post a Comment