Friday, February 13, 2009

Uncle Paul


Tonight, my uncle Paul passed away at 10:30pm. We found out that he was full of cancer 2 weeks ago. He was given weeks to live.


I had hoped to get to visit him before his time passed...but it went too quickly.


Tonight, my heart is sad.


Let me tell you a little bit about my uncle Paul...


I was always afraid of him growing up...he was a quite man...which was unusual in our family of loud Italians. Therefore, I didn't understand him. His silence scared me, but as I grew older, I began to see and appreciate what was behind the silence...


He was a man that observed and processed life. He loved to read, he loved to learn, he loved Jeopardy, he loved the Mountaineers...but most of all he LOVED his family. He was devoted to his family. His face would light up when they entered the room.


He was very self-disciplined. He loved the earth and loved to garden. He had the prettiest and most productive garden that I have ever seen. He would spend hours in his garden...caring for the plants, gently moving the earth. He shared the bounty of his hard work...I can't tell you how many times I came home with vegetables, big and beautiful, from his garden.


The thing that most impresses me about my uncle Paul was his utter devotion to my aunt Betty. He adored her and she adored him...the two became one.


Tonight, my heart breaks for my aunt Betty....62 years of marriage....of never being apart for even one night...and tonight is the first. How very, very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment