Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My person


So, last night I watched a friend's (she's a single mom) son, Isaiah, while she had a local trip for work. She was supposed to be home around 9 pm. It was not a big deal because he is close in age to my son. The boys played and giggled and watched Sport Bloopers on the computer.

At around 7 pm my friend called, she did not realize how far this trip was, and she did not realize that it was in central time zone, which meant that she was thinking it would be closer to 11 pm before she could pick up her son. I tell her it really is not a big deal and he can just spend the night with us. She does not want to impose, so she asks me to just let him sleep on the couch until she arrives. Okay.

At around 9 pm she calls again. It is going much slower than she realized, and she was wondering if he could just spend the night. I tell her that we would love to have him spend the night...not a problem. She apologize profusely....I assure her that it is fine.

I really considered it a privilege. Seriously...I have a very, very, very dear friend that is also a single mom, Tammy. She has been "my person" as I have navigated along this whole single-mom road. I have called her a million times when I have been stuck in a meeting, or stuck in traffic, or stuck at work and my kids were sitting alone at the school waiting for me to pick them up. She has been "my person." The person that I would call at 3 am if there was an emergency. She has been "my person." She has done for me exactly what Michele was asking me to do....and she has done it without putting guilt on me. I can, and have, called her anytime, in any situation, and ask her to help me with my kids....and she would be there, and has been there.....every time. I never have to feel guilty....she is "my person," no questions asked.

That has meant the world to me....to have someone who is there for me.....and I want to pay it forward.....I want to be there for other single moms, especially. This is such a hard road to travel....and you feel so alone....and so inadequate.....and Tammy has been "my person."

This ones for you Tammy!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, you made me cry! I really do love you and yours(even the putty)unconditionally!

    ReplyDelete