Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Big life....small room

So, my oldest, Katie, is at college now. Yes I know, it's hard to believe that someone who looks so young could possibly have a child in college....humor me please....I'm teetering on the edge.

Anyhow, so she is away at school. I was talking with a friend about it and she said, "Our children have to be let go....and their life inflates like a life preserver."

I have been mulling over that statement. I like that statement. I picture one of those inflatable life rafts....those rafts that have a pull cord. You pull it and the flat, small raft begins to fill with air....expanding into a very large raft, filling a room (if you are crazy enough to pull the cord in a room).

That is my Katie....as she has grown up, her life has been expanding.....but to reach her fullness....she had to be let go.....moved out of that small room and into the world so that she had room to expand. She is away at college now....expanding.

Here's the funny thing that I have noticed....now that Katie has moved out of the house....it has made more room for Becky to begin to expand. She is beginning to fill that space. I've always enjoyed being with Becky, but I never realized how extremely funny she is.

Yes....our children do need room to expand.....and as we give them room and move them out of the house....it makes room for the next child.

1 comment: