Monday, September 14, 2009

So I wonder what that sign looks like?


I have lived in deer country throughout different times of my life; Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. So I know what this sign means. It means to carefully drive the roads at night, always watching for those deer along the side of the road. Always looking for those deer that stand right in the edge of the woods waiting to play "Frogger" with the oncoming cars. I am certain it is a rite of passage for deer...to become the big buck.

I now live in Kentucky...and I think I have had 3 deer run across the road in the 13 years that I have lived here. So, my skills at watching for those deer that suddenly jump out in front of you are a little rusty.

Tonight, I had to run down to work...it's about a 2 minute commute through the streets of Wilmore. I am driving along and suddenly two crazy kids on bikes dart out in front of me. I swerve out into the other lane and go around them.....heart thumping. I get to the stop sign and turn left. I begin to accelarate when suddenly a man and his son, both wearing all black, dart out in front of me to catch a basketball that they were playing with....again, slam on breaks, swerve into the other lane.....heart pounding. I am now driving through downtown Wilmore, a sleepy little town, and suddenly a young boy, all in black, walking his dog, who thankfully was white, decides to dart out across the road.....same story.

I begin to laugh....in Kentucky, we don't have crazy deer that dart out in front of you at night....oh no. In Kentucky, we have crazy hillbillies that wear all black clothing who dart out in front of you at night! It must be their rite of passage here....to go from hillbilly to redneck.

No comments:

Post a Comment