Sunday, September 6, 2009

Death or life?


So, today is my mom's birthday. How old is she? Well, I don't want to admit it, and I don't want to say it out-loud, but she is 77 years old today.

She and my dad are coming down to watch my children for me in two days, so I didn't mail her birthday card, I decided to give it to her in person when she arrives.

I called her this morning to wish her a "happy birthday!" I wasn't able to reach her until after church. When she finally answered, we sang, "happy birthday" to her. Then I spoke to her for a while, and handed the phone to Becky to talk to her.

At this point, Becky hears something that I have known for a long time.....my mom's birthday is not a day that she likes to celebrate. Why? Well, as Becky heard today from mema, "I am 77 years old today, but 44 years ago today, I buried my dad."

Becky hung up the phone and was distraught. She then said, "Mom, did you know that mema's dad was buried on her birthday?" I told her that I did know that, and I knew that was the reason that mema preferred to forget her birthday.

Then I told her this...."I am so grateful that I am 45 years old, and that I get to celebrate my mom's birthday, and I am so thankful that you are 15 years old and get to celebrate your grandma's birthday."

I have always ached for my mom....I can't imagine burying a parent on your birthday.

Thank you Lord for today....for being able to celebrate the day that my mom was born....a day that has been tainted for her because of the death of her father....but a day that is honored for me....because of the birth of my mother.

2 comments: