Monday, March 15, 2010

Let me kiss it

So, this past weekend I went back home to attend the funeral of my aunt Nelda. It was hard to watch my cousins have to go through the loss of their mom.....

At the end of the funeral, we formed a circle around the sanctuary and sang "Blest be the ties that bind." As we sang, the mortician came in to close the casket. He lowered my aunt down into the casket and then tucked the lining of the casket around her and then closed the lid. Two of my cousins could not watch that.....tears streaming down their faces they stared into the air....one of my cousins and my uncle watched....they did not want to not miss one minute of the time that they had left looking at her.....

I stood there watching and thinking...your mom is there for you all through your life....teaching and nurturing.....kissing your boo-boos and teaching you how to go through the difficulties of life. How ironic it was their mom had probably tucked them into bed thousands of times.....and yet here they were....watching a stranger tuck her in for the last time.....and she was not there to kiss away the pain.

1 comment:

  1. Sad moments. Sorry for your and their loss. It's a hard part of life that most of us will have to endure...sobering thought.

    ReplyDelete