Friday, January 8, 2010

Tiptoe through the tulips

So, my Katie is upstairs right now, packing away. I can hear her bumping and thumping around as she packs up all of her belongings and gets ready to head back to college. I am sad.

She has been home for 3 weeks. It has been good to have her home again.

I was once the college girl, packing up my belongings to head back to school. I remember the excited that I felt as I prepared to leave again for another semester of studying and fun. I remember that my mom always seems a little sad as I packed and even more so when I said goodbye and walked into my dorm. I now understand why.

I think it might be easier to be the person who leaves. You are walking into new environments where there are no memories of the old things and old people of your life. While those who are left behind, are left in the same environment. They walk into a room and see your favorite chair, but you are not there. They sit at the table where you have sat among them, and they feel your absence. They walk through the house and hear your laughter missing.

Yes, I think it is easier to leave than to tiptoe around the memory of you.

1 comment: