Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ruff Ruff


So, since God has created me and knows me very well....He knows that sometimes I need a simple visual....a little lesson to help me along this journey.

Today's lesson came from my dog, Graham....I told you God knows me.

I put Graham out on his chain to do his business. After a little while...I hear a small "ruff." I go to the door and Graham is standing out in the grass. His chain, which can usually allow him to come back to the door, is stuck on something out in the yard. Now Graham has no idea what he is stuck on...he just knows that as he was walking up to the door....his chain abruptly pulled him to a stop out in the grass. So, he "ruffs" for help.

I walk out and instead of releasing his chain, I actually move the object that his chain was stuck on and put it back where it belongs. I have not touched Graham's chain. I just moved what it was around. I walk back to the door and say, "Graham, come." He looks at me and cocks his head. He has not felt his chain be released and therefore, he is hesitant. I say again, "Graham, come on." This time Graham is looking me dead in the eye, and he leaps forward to come.

How many times have I been stuck in life....not knowing what I was even stuck on....just stuck. And how many times have I heard my Master say, "Trust me, come on." And how many times have I hesitated. Will I ever get to the place that when my Master says, "Come." I leap forward in total trust?

3 comments:

  1. Putty is a good companion, and a great object lesson : ) I believe like Luther-dogs will be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Beyond intellectual assent, personal trust embraces a centered emotive movement, a concentrated passionate leap of the whole person toward the mercy of God"-Kierkegaard

    ReplyDelete
  3. that kierkegaard quote is perfect. this proves my point...you can learn through kierkegaard...and God teaches me through my dog ;-)

    ReplyDelete