Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Other Friend

So, tonight my small group dinner got canceled, which was fine...so I had the evening open. My son was at a soccer game, my younger daughter was at her opening night of her school play, and my oldest, Katie, was home. She heard me canceling the reservations, so she hollered out, "Let's go eat mexican." These are my last few months with her before she heads off to college, so I am going to savor every moment that I can get with her...I say, "Okay. Let's go."

She picks the restaurant, turns out it is the same mexican restaurant that I went to today at lunch.

Almost every week, my friend and co-worker go to this mexican restaurant. We order 2 waters with lemon, one chicken fajita with no rice, just beans and two tortilla wraps (we split the lunch fajita to save money). We almost ALWAYS have the same waiter...and he knows us and our order well by now.

Anyhow, Katie and I go into this restaurant and we get my waiter....he smiles at me, a funny smile. Katie and I order 2 waters with lemon, one chicken fajita with rice and beans, and one extra order of rice, and two tortilla wraps. Our waiter smiles again.

Katie and I are eating and talking and laughing. She is telling me of her funny evening the other night when she went out with her friend, Steph. They had gone out to dinner together. When Katie went to pay, the cashier asked her who's card this was. Katie said she had a slight brain fart and hesitated in her answer...then she finally stammered out, "It's my friends."

Katie then busted out laughing as she stated, "Mom, I know that this cashier thought that I stammered because I was a lesbian and didn't know what to call my girlfriend." We laughed and talked about how hard it is for two friends to just go out anymore without someone thinking a little something-something is going on.

So, we finish eating and Katie goes to the bathroom and our waiter brings me the check. He smiles at me and says, "Where is your other friend?" Because of the story that Katie just shared, I realize what the smile he has going means....he thinks that my "other" friend and I are lesbians....and he probably thinks I'm two-timing on her with this young thing. So, I immediately stammer out, "No....my other friend is just a co-worker friend....this is my daughter....I have a family!" He smiles.

Katie comes back and we go to the cashier to check out. My waiter walks up to us again, smiling, and says, "So, tomorrow you come back with your other friend?" I say, "No, I think I've had my fill of mexican for this week."

When we get outside Katie asked what that was about....as I told her she lets out a GIANT scream...."Oh man....he thought you were two timing your other friend with me, didn't he?"

We laugh....and laugh.....and laugh.

I guess I need to start doing what another friend of mine does whenever we go out to dinner....she proudly states, "A table for two please, but WE ARE NOT LESBIAN LOVERS."

No comments:

Post a Comment