Saturday, April 18, 2009

Happy 18th Edwina!

So, tonight as I prepare for bed.....I remember 18 years ago this very night, it was April 18, 1991, I was 28 years old. I WAS VERY PREGNANT! I was actually two weeks overdue. My little girl, we called her Edwina just to push buttons, was supposed to come out on April 5th, but she was not in any big hurry to make her grand entrance.

I had put the doctor off as long as I could...he had wanted to induce labor two weeks prior, but I kept insisting that she would come out on her own. I had been told that walking would help induce labor, so I walked every day. As a matter of fact, I had taken a very LONG walk 18 years ago today. My mom had driven from Ohio to Washington, DC to be there for the birth. We went for a long walk together trying to get this little girl to come out before induction...no luck. I went to bed that night with bag packed and alarm set. We had to be at the hospital at 6:00am.

So, the alarm went off and we all left for the hospital. At 8:00am they hooked me up to pitocin to induce labor. It worked, labor pains started immediately. Then they broke my water...wow....labor intensified. I then got an epidural, WONDERFUL! I was able to visit with my mom briefly and then take a quick nap. At 1:00 pm they said I was ready to begin pushing...at 2:32 I pushed out our little girl. Her name was Katharine Leigh Hogan, not Edwina. She was 21 inches long and weighed 8 lbs and 6 oz. She scored an 8 on apgar. When they held her up.....I saw lots of hair and a GIANT pouty bottom lip. She let out a giant scream.....and I began to weep....tears of joy.

The day was a whirlwind of emotions and events. We never had any moments alone. I was so weiry by the end of the day. They took Katie away around midnight. I went to sleep.

At 3:30 am they entered the room, a nurse pushing Katie in her bassenet. I watched her wheel Katie into my room. Katie's little eyes were wide open and looking all around the room. It seemed she was searching for something. I waited in bed. The nurse picked Katie up and handed her to me. Her searching ended....our eyes met for the very first time. I feel head-over-heels in love with her at that very moment.

We spent the next hour all alone...a precious hour that we shared.

Now, 18 years later....and our precious moments alone are about to end...she is getting ready to head off to college....no more late night hours alone, just she and me. My little girl has turned into a fine young woman....just as it should be.

I will miss you Katie....but I WILL NEVER STOP LOVING YOU!

Happy birthday Edwina!

No comments:

Post a Comment