Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Floating gently


So, yesterday I killed two of God's gentle creations.

The first killing happened as I was driving home from Ohio. I was cruising down I-71 in the middle of Ohio. I spotted a beautiful butterfly floating gently through the air above the highway. Suddenly it dipped down and the airstream of my vehicle blew it up and over my car. I looked in the rear view mirror and there it was plummeting to the pavement.

After getting home and unpacking, I began mowing my lawn. It was dusk. As I was mowing, I noticed that there were a few fireflies left lighting up the air. The end of firefly season. As I was pushing the mower on my final lap, I noticed a firefly landing right in front of my mower. It gets sucked up under the mower and I see it light up for the final time....

I love butterflies and fireflies...they are so beautiful, so gentle, just floating around adding beauty to the earth. I want to walk gently through this world....adding only beauty.

2 comments:

  1. I love lightening bugs! I also realize my threshold for "killing things" is being re-established as I get older. I find life more and more precious as I age. I guess this is a natural phenomenon. I am down to only thinking smacking misquitoes, stepping on cockroaches in the house, and swatting flies at a picnic or in the home proper are permissible. This is a huge increase for "tolerance" from when I was 25.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cannot help being destructive, just by taking our space on the planet. And killing a gentle floating thing is almost as bad as killing a beagle.

    Glad you noticed. It is one of the reasons I like you so much.

    ReplyDelete