Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Smell that smell


So, I have a Bradford Pear tree in my front yard. I planted it when my house was built. I went to the store and picked it out....out of all the trees at the store, I chose it as the one that would adorn my yard. You see, I had noticed how beautiful the Bradford Pear tree blossomed in the spring here in Kentucky...it kind of reminded me of the Cherry Blossom trees in D.C., but for a fraction of the price.

Selection made, Bradford Pear, tree planted.

The next few years the tree grew. A few years later it was much larger and I anticipated that my yard would be beautiful that spring. The buds began to sprout up on the branches and then the day finally arrived. It was in full bloom. How beautiful! That evening I sat on my porch admiring my tree, when suddenly a rank, a very rank smell wafted through the air. I got up and walked around my yard...was there a dead fish somewhere? I couldn't figure out where this smell was coming from....I continued to walk throughout my yard, as I walked closer to my beautiful tree the smell got stronger. I couldn't remember fertilizing the tree, especially with dead fish, but maybe someone else did. So I got down on my hands and knees and sniffed the trunk. I could still smell the stink, but it wasn't coming from the ground. I stood up and the smell got stronger. I put my nose up to the beautiful blossoms and viola.....that was the smell.....the stink....something similar to a dead fish....it was those beautiful blossoms. Are you kidding me?

As I have mentioned before, I am a bit slow and therefore, the best life lessons for me contain a visual. I walked away from my tree, quite far away, and I admired it's beauty. Then I walked closer to it and couldn't help but think how the beauty faded as the stench permeated my nostrils. I wonder, what kind of a Christian am I. Am I a Bradford Pear or a Cherry Blossom tree? Am I beautiful from afar, but the closer you get to me.....the stench overwhelms the beauty? Or am I a Cherry Blossom tree.....beautiful from afar, and as you draw closer....the sweet smell only enhances the beauty. Hmmmm......

1 comment: